What better way to start the day than by baking some muffs… This is my all time favourite recipe and has had high praise from many work colleagues, family and friends, so it would only be fair that I share it with you.
Raspberry Muffins (makes 12-18)
- 100g plain white flour
- 150g plain wholemeal flour
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 285ml milk
- 80g melted butter
- 125g raspberries (or any other berry type fruit)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and put 12 paper cake cases into muffin tins. Sift the flours, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. With the wholemeal flour catch the small pieces of bran in the sieve and tip in once the flour has been sifted to incorporate some air into the bowl. Stir in the sugar.
- In a large jug, mix the egg, milk and butter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and stir until just combined, then gently fold in the raspberries, using just a few strokes. Keep the mixing light as the more you beat the more air is knocked out and will make the muffins heavy. So, keep to big gentle stirs.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake cases and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and firm. Transfer to a cooling rack. Eat slightly warm.
|Yum, freshly baked muffs….|
- Raspberries can be swapped for any other berry e.g. blueberry, blackberry, strawberry.
- Got a sweet tooth? Why not add white chocolate to the mixture. Raspberries and Milky Bar chocolate goes down very well and a quick way to make new friends!