Dare I say it, but there’s an autumn chill in the air. Which can only mean one thing…time to get my bake on! In the summer its all about Pimm’s and Jelly. Now it’s the turn for cake and all things sweet.
I haven’t shared my Yummy Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe on Country Bumpkin Chic yet. It was a recipe one of my old (not that she’s old, she just doesn’t live there now) neighbour’s Polly shared after bringing round some Yummy Lemon Drizzle to one of my Christmas shopping evenings and it was a hit. It’s also a hit with the folks, so it would be rude not to share.
- 225g unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar (I used brown sugar, as I’d run out of caster!)
- 225g self raising flour
- 4 eggs
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1-2 lemons (depending how tangy you like it!)
- 85g caster sugar (although you can use icing sugar to make a better glaze)
- Heat the oven to 180 or Gas Mark 4
- Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy
- Add the eggs, one at a time (obvs!) and mix through slowly
- Sift in flour
- Add the lemon zest
- Mix until well combined
- Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper
- Spoon in the mixture and level off at the top
- Bake for 40-45 mins – if the mixture doesn’t wobble in the middle or if a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean, then it’s done!
- Whilst the cake is cooling, mix the lemon juice with sugar.
- Prick the cake all over with a fork and drizzle the mix over allowing it to soak in and form a topping.
- Leave until completely cool before removing or serving.
- Keeps for about 4 days, or you can freeze – happy days.
Lemon drizzle a cooking
Top tip: pop the used lemons in the oven & it will smell fresh!
Lemon icing sugar ready to glaze
Lemon Drizzle Cake all shiny & glazed
Yummy Lemon Drizzle Cake cooling down…almost ready to eat!