If you’re going to bake anything whilst staying at home more, make sure you bake Banana Bread. It’s probably one of the easiest recipes you can follow & it tastes yummy.
- 4oz butter or margarine
- 6oz sugar granulated, caster or mix in some brown sugar
- 8oz self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 large or 3 medium – very ripe bananas – basically when they’re brown & look a bit rank
- Heat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180C
- Grease a loaf tin which can take 2lb
- Mash the bananas with a fork or potato masher
- Cream the butter & sugar together
- Mix in the eggs to your butter & sugar mix
- Mix together the two yellow sludges in a bowl
- Mix in the flour
- Scrape into the loaf tin & bake for 40 minutes then lower the temperature to gas mark 2 or 150C & cook for another 30 minutes.
I’ve been busy baking Banana Bread on the weekends & sharing it with my parents. Makes perfect mid-morning snacks whilst working from home. And even better if you can toast & add butter it. Pure heaven.
Who else has been baking Banana Bread? Have you tried any other recipes? I did pop some blueberries in one time & it was extra yum, & made me feel like I was getting 2 of my 5 a day.
I first shared this recipe back in 2011 as part of a series of Bake Off blog posts. I might even bring these back & take things back to basics.
*Apologies for the ingredients being in the imperial system, you can easily convert or switch your scales to metric.