If you’re going to bake anything whilst on lockdown, make sure you bake Banana Bread. It’s probably one of the easiest recipes you can follow & it tastes yummy.
- 4oz butter or margarine
- 6oz sugar granulated, caster or mix in some brown sugar
- 8oz self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 large or 3 medium – very ripe bananas – basically when they’re brown & look a bit rank
- Heat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180C
- Grease a loaf tin which can take 2lb
- Mash the bananas with a fork or potato masher
- Cream the butter & sugar together
- Mix in the eggs to your butter & sugar mix
- Mix together the two yellow sludges in a bowl
- Mix in the flour
- Scrape into the loaf tin & bake for 40 minutes then lower the temperature to gas mark 2 or 150C & cook for another 30 minutes.
I’ve been busy baking Banana Bread on the weekends & sharing it with my parents. Makes perfect mid-morning snacks whilst working from home. And even better if you can toast & add butter it. Pure heaven.
Who else has been baking Banana Bread? Have you tried any other recipes? I did pop some blueberries in one time & it was extra yum, & made me feel like I was getting 2 of my 5 a day.
I first shared this recipe back in 2011 as part of a series of Bake Off blog posts. I might even bring these back & take things back to basics.
*Apologies for the ingredients being in the imperial system, you can easily convert or switch your scales to metric. It kind of makes me feel like I’ve been thrown back to Jane Austen times which is kind of apt for lockdown.